Thursday, October 4, 2012

Alu diye Dherosh Bhaja (Bengali style Okra or Bhindi stir fry)


Alu diye Dherosh Bhaja (Bengali style Okra or Bhindi stir fry)


October is flooding Dherosh in my house. I think this is the vegetable I have been having almost constantly every week since March. Its Delhi summer that I’m talking about and if you happen to live anywhere near- you’ll know that it’s one season that refuses to leave us. And with it, comes along the Dherosh on our Dinner tables.

Since we’re eating it with such frequency , It deserves a place in here. So while I was trying to write up the recipe, I thought of sharing a little ‘dherosh’ trivia and I got side tracked on the maze of internet. As a kid, I remember Dherosh as something my uncles would call me if I decided to sit like a blob and pretend to be dumb (to their instruction!). I googled as I wanted to know if it’s a regular term afterall.  Alas! all I did was checking out Twitter, having a sneak peek around friends' updates on Facebook, youtubing, googling anything but Dherosh. Does it happen to you too?

Dherosh might be a close cousin of Kaddu, and this is the closest I can get while translating this slang and I contend,  maybe 'Dherosh’ is just me.

This stir fry brings back all the memories of dherosh bhaja with ruti aar dal. A plain and simple dinner staple in ma's house.

Dherosh Bhaja 





Dherosh/Okra/Bhindi- - 500 gms
Potatoes-1 cubed
Onion-1 tsp
Ginger-1/2 “ julienned
Garlic-1/2” chopped finely
Oil - 2 tbsp
Green Chili - 1 finely chopped

Spices
Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Cumin powder – 1/4th tsp
Turmeric – 1/4th Tsp
Salt

Wash the Dherosh well. Pat Dry. Cut into very thin roundels. The thinner they are, the crispier they will turn out.

Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan. Add the Cumin seeds and chopped green chili. Saute for a few seconds.Add Onions, ginger and garlic.Stir fry till light brown.

Now add the Dherosh roundels, turmeric and mix well with the oil and spices. Do not add any water as it  gets slimy, let it cook in its own juices. As they cook the sliminess goes away.

Keep turning them frequently. Once they get brown and crisp on all sides, they are done. Sprinkle some salt and cumin powder and remove from heat . Serve with Ruti/Rotis.




No comments:

You might also Love

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This