Sunday, November 18, 2012

The Forgiving Cupcake


I’m guilty of so many things. Currently ‘lies that I tell my daughter’ has to top the charts. Not that I was born with an obsessive desire to lie all the time and I preach dishonestly to my child, still lying these days has become my second skin. I do it all the time without batting an eyelid.

Don’t you touch this- the meow will come. [The most popular one with us now, after we successfully managed to scare her off the cats –code name meow, forever]

Don’t you dare scream else I'll get get a new baby and return you. [Often repeated in public places when there are quieter nicer babies in sight]

Don’t go to strangers, they will put you in a bag and take you with them. [Again to put her off 'the universe is my family' policy and keeps her safe from devious intentions.]

Sometimes I’m totally at loss while coining a new lie. Like I just can’t have my daughter sit in her car seat for more than a few minutes at a stretch. In India we have relaxed rules, so we don’t really need her in the car seat by law. With time I realized that car seat is the only way I can travel with my sanity intact. Little did I know that its going to be a constant battle . The moment I strap her in , she wails and tells me that the belt is hurting bad. Once we get through that melodramatic mess, she wants the windows rolled down. I know how good a fresh air is to my child , but in a moving car- excuse me? Her hand goes out first, then peeks out the head…too much I say. 

Windows are rolled up instantly and car seat belt back on.
\
Now the wailing starts. That squeaking shrill wails invites a lot of unwanted attention from fellow passengers at red lights. I still have to keep up the act. I tell her “Police eesche jail e niye jaabe (policeman is coming, he will put you in jail)”

It’s ok if the police gets that bad rap. She’ll know when is grows up.

Unfortunately for me, at the next red-light a smiling police waves at us, asking us to show our papers(its  a routine check for them). I secretly fume. I’m embarrassed too, as my lie is discovered. My daughter now thinks that a policeman is mommy’s friend and does not look that bad to put her in jail.

Oh Crap.

Back home, I have to salvage my mommy reputation.

I bake her a ‘Sorry for the lies mommy tells you’ cupcake.

Without the frosting of course.  Frosting is not needed if mommy has made such a good cupcake.

Nevertheless- This Mommy is guilty




The Forgiving Chocolate Cupcake (this recipe has been adapted from Laurasweetspot)
Ingredients





1¾ cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
¾ cups unsweetened cocoa powder
1¾ teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup stirred buttermilk
½ cup vegetable oil
2 extra-large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup freshly brewed hot coffee

How I did It.

Preheat the oven to 180°C. I used the silicone cupcakes, so no lining needed.

Sift all the dry ingredients together . 

In another bowl, all the wet goes in. Mix well. once done, slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry. With mixer still on low, add the coffee and stir just to combine. 

Fill cup cake tins  ⅔ way full and bake 200 odd minutes or until a fork comes out clean.

Cool in the pans for 5 minutes, then turn them out and cool completely.




What are your thoughts on this good –bad  mommy?

Or would you like to taste the cupcake and judge :)?

2 comments:

Joanne said...

Aww well since these lies are really only told in her best interest...I think it's perfectly fine! And these cupcakes more than make up for it!

Pari Cash said...

Hi Dear, you reminded me my kids rght now they are 15km away from me. I have twins and my problem is to give them two different window seats in a car and looking them like i am watching tennis match. heheheh. will surely try these cupcakes.

You might also Love

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This